Saturday, December 6, 2008

Do you hear what I hear?

BCS should stand for Best Complicated System. So without further ado, let me try to explain. First off the system is comprised of three elements. Two elements are human polls, and the third element is I believe six computer ranking systems. They are all equally weighted, i.e. 1/3 of the total BCS ranking. The computer rankings have the highest and lowest ranking dropped out. Through this complicated system each year the "supposed" two best teams are determined and play each other for the National Title. If everything was determined on a piece of paper, many would tell you that this year will be Oklahoma and Florida playing for the title. However, if it were that simple, they wouldn't play the games. So, let me give you my rendition on how things are going to shake out. Tonight, Oklahoma is going to lose to Missouri. That's right, you heard it hear first. Last week they were embarrassed by a Kansas team that went from good, to not even ranked through the second half of the season. Last year, they were embarrassed by Oklahoma in the Big XII championship and knocked out of consideration for the National Title game. Today, they will play with nothing to lose. Missouri is was a preseason favorite, and some would say this has been a disappointing season with such high expectations starting the year ranked high. I have heard the announcers talk about how Oklahoma's offense is rolling. They can't be stopped. Tonight, I think they beat theirselves. Watch for the weather, and Bradford's ability to handle the ball with his broken hand. Sounds like turnovers to me.

I don't watch much SEC football, but I have followed the National Title race closely with Texas being in the picture since beating Oklahoma in October. I know that both Alabama and Florida have good records and handled in their in state rivals last weekend with ease. However, I do not think either of them are the best team in college football. I believe Alabama will come out strong defensively and slow Florida's offense down. However, I think Tim Tebow will take over and play like the Heisman candidate that he is. I look for Nick Saban's team to come up short in the scoring category and lost by a couple of touchdowns.

So now we make a full circle back to the BCS. Oklahoma obviously relents the #1 seed in the computer polls most likely to Florida. Texas with the bye, probably stays at number #2. Now we have the human polls. This is where things get confusing. An article I read recently, said that one voter did not even know that Penn State had lost a game this season. However, I think with this being championship week, most voters will be watching the games. They will probably move Florida ahead of Alabama after watching them beat Alabama. I also think that alot of them, after seeing a Missouri team that got handled Texas, beat Oklahoma will put Texas in the #2 spot. After that it is really hard to say. I believe ballots will be mixed after the number two spots, with something voting for USC and some leaving either Alabama or Oklahoma in the top 3. There you have it. #1 Florida vs #2 Texas in the Orange Bowl for the National Championship.

Go Missouri beat OU!

No comments:

Post a Comment